Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Heat coming from dash, help?

Discussion in 'VT - VX Holden Commodore (1997 - 2002)' started by Nanceo, Feb 16, 2016.

1. Nanceo

Nanceo New Member

Members Ride:
    Holden VX Berlina
    Hey guys I need some help. Sometimes when I drive around, I feel heat coming from the dash and underneath the steering wheel even though the vents are closed. My car doesn't overheat and I recently changed the water pump so I don't think it's that either. My heater would be off but my aircon doesn't release cold, may be a leak. Could that be related?

I can't seem to find a good mechanic and if I do, they charge me a lot. Joys of being a female and jobless at the moment, does anyone know what this problem is and how much it'll be to fix? Thank you :)

2. Turtl3

Turtl3 Member

Members Ride:
    VX Calais V8 International
    is it just a radiating heat or an actual flow of warm air? if the fan is on (even with the vents closed via the flaps) air will still seep past them. is the airflow set on fresh or recirculating? do u normally have the a/c on or just the fan?

if the a/c is out of gas and/or the system has a leak which virtually makes it useless, then all u will get is warm air.

3. elless1

elless1 Member

Members Ride:
    VU SS
    Does it have climate control? Ive noticed in my calais even when the whole thing is switched off
    air still gets past the flaps in the heater box and comes through the vents.

Like turtle said try and put it on recirc even if the fans not on. This should stop it drawing air from outside and
    coming through the vents.

4. ephect

ephect Donating Member

Members Ride:
    VS Acclaim V6
    It say ur heater tap isn't closing an allowing the hot coolant into the heater core in the cabin.

Next time u experience the heat under the steering wheel, pull over or wait till ur home/work, and place it hand close to the water pipes above ur foot rest. This will confirm the heater tap is faulty.

5. Brad_BlackL67Calais

Brad_BlackL67Calais New Member

Members Ride:
    Holden 3.8 supercharged vx Calais
    Does ur windscreen fog aswell and is the heat damp/humid?

6. Nanceo

Nanceo New Member

Members Ride:
    Holden VX Berlina
    Hey#Brad, the windscreen has started fogging up a little, like little patches on the bottom. It seems humid

7. Nanceo

Nanceo New Member

Members Ride:
    Holden VX Berlina
    Heey, yeah mine has climate control, still learning how to use it actually. I do have it on recirc and i have my vents closed, still doesn't help

8. Nanceo

Nanceo New Member

Members Ride:
    Holden VX Berlina
    Hey turtle. I dont have my ac on or the fan, always off and tend to have recirc on, not fresh. It seems like radiating heat, happens when i drive for a bit.

I think it may be a leak, i mean that would make sense because this never used to happen before i touched on with regas

9. Nanceo

Nanceo New Member

Members Ride:
    Holden VX Berlina
    Hello, okay ill try that but if there's heat from there and I have to change the heater tap, would it cost a lot? Or is it a big job? Is it even dangerous to just leave it and drive around normally?

10. Nanceo

Nanceo New Member

Members Ride:
    Holden VX Berlina
    Hello, okay ill try that but if there's heat from there and I have to change the heater tap, would it cost a lot? Or is it a big job? Is it even dangerous to just leave it and drive around normally?

11. rambunctious

rambunctious Well-Known Member

Members Ride:
    VZ Wagon
    Probably not dangerous but just means you will stay warm most of the time.

I did a replacement heater tap on my VZ a while back, took all of ten minutes, it was located on the drivers side at the rear of the head.
    Cost about $30 for memory.
    I also did one on my ladies VT a few years ago but cannot remember where it was located, maybe same place.
    If you have a look around the drivers side of engine at rear up high and see if the small (5mm) vacuum hose is attached to the valve.
    The valve is also black about 100mm long with black hoses attached in 3 places for memory.
    Hoses are about 25mm in diameter.
    Replace it only when the car is cold.