Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

How do you identify if your VR is an S Pac

Discussion in 'VR - VS Holden Commodore (1993 - 1997)' started by UteBeautVR, Aug 25, 2018.

Tags:
  1. UteBeautVR

UteBeautVR New Member

Members Ride:
    VR ute
    Hey fellas, new to the forum.. I'm in need of help identifying if my VR ute is a S pac or not. I've found very little information online about the VR so any help would be appreciated, and if you know a good link or forum page I should check out, throw it in the comments. Here's some pictures of my ute I picked up yesterday, it's had a 96 ecotec engine swap with just over 50k on it.

What I do know is.. It's got the S pac tailgate badge, LSD, pin-striping (unsure if that's based on S and SS pacs only) and cruise control.. besides them I don't know how to identify a VR S pac. This is my first commodore and first project.

Attached Files:

VS_Pete likes this.
  2. losh1971

losh1971 Well-Known Member

Members Ride:
    VR Ute V6
    What year is it?

3. afstruct

afstruct Well-Known Member

Members Ride:
    HSV VS Maloo , 2002 Monaro
    Spacs were nothing special even in the sedans, as you said red side molding s badge should have chrome Commodore external badge, 15in alloy wheels , auto had cruise control and fe2 suspension.
    Although the utes didn't get the true fe2 ( not shore if it was any different at all)
    Even the Maloo only had fe2 front suspension, the rear I'm guessing was revised to work with front but still sat pretty high to allow for sitting down when carrying a load .
    The maloos panhard bar is different to the Holden one.
    Doubt anyone would specifically go out of their way to put a s badge on , it looks a pretty clean ute so would guess it is an spac.

First project what are the plans for it ? Maybe a reason to start a ride thread in vr_vs show off your ride?

UteBeautVR likes this.
  4. afstruct

afstruct Well-Known Member

Members Ride:
    HSV VS Maloo , 2002 Monaro
    Forgot to say spac based on executive model as was ss and Maloo.
    Also there was no ss ute until the vs series III .

UteBeautVR likes this.
  5. losh1971

Members Ride:
    VR Ute V6
    Mine is supposed to be an S-Pac, there are signs as it has pretty much all of the optional specs, but then again it is missing badges that suggests it is just a standard exec that someone has thrown a lot of money into.

6. UteBeautVR

UteBeautVR New Member

Members Ride:
    VR ute
    Losh it's a 1994 model built in march, meaning it's a series 1?

AFstruct it ticks all those boxes so we might have a winner ;). Plan is to do a complete overhaul, make it back to it former glory. It'll be to my specification though, most likely will stay V6 but time will tell. honestly mate it surprised me on how immaculate the interior was, I brought it off a old bloke from out west and sent a tow truck to pick it up so I never got to actually look at it besides a few photos. Snapped it up for $1200. I'll make sure to make a thread, I've been taking photos as I go and a few videos. Cheers for all the information!

losh1971, afstruct and VS_Pete like this.
  7. losh1971

Members Ride:
    VR Ute V6
    Any updates mate?

8. UteBeautVR

UteBeautVR New Member

Members Ride:
    VR ute
    Been on a holiday up north for the past few weeks. I took it in to the mechanics yesterday and had it checked over for a roadworthy. Besides what I already knew it needed there wasn't really much else. Front and rear brake pads, rear lower shocker rubbers, rear upper control arm bushes, rear gearbox seal, a new dash cluster and there's rust on the right side sill about 3cms long that I've decided to get professional done. There's a few other things but they are minor like putting a radio in to fill the hole in the dash, handbrake cable adjustment and a new clip to secure the dash facier.

All in all it gives me a bit of work to do for now. I still haven't dropped the fluids, flushed and replaced filters but I wanted to double check that the engine was sound before throwing away money on it. On the odd occasion it was idling rough ( It'd slowly climb from a steady 1k to 2k and sit at 2k ) so my guess is it's either a vacuum problem or my sensors are playing up. I also found whilst driving it to the mechanic I would sit at the speed I was doing without having the foot on the throttle ( like having cruise control on without it being on.. ).

So for the next few weeks I'll doing all the stuff I can easily do at home like buying a new battery, replacing all fluids and filters including the diffs. I'll be replacing a few clips and hose clamps. Plus the few things I need to get done to the interior. Then after that I'll be getting the rust cut/welded and primed ready for a respray. I've decided I'll be doing my first paint job with the help of my father in the upcoming months. As usual the photos will keep rolling as will the updates :D

losh1971 likes this.